DIRECTORATE OF SIWES
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS ON SIWES
- The SIWES Programme will soon commence, the following documents are to be downloaded from the platform after filling the online master List; Form 001, Form 002 ( Placement Letter), Form 003 (Acceptance of SIWES Form). On securing a placement for SIWES, students are expected to fill the online Placement List and download Form 004 (SIWES Job Reporting Form), Form 005 (SIWES Employers’ Evaluation Form). Then Collect the SIWES Logbook, SCAF Form and ITF Form 8 (ITF funded programmes only) from the Desk Officer at your Study Centres.
- Placement Letter – This is the formal letter of placement to be submitted to the employer by each intending SIWES student. This letter is used for seeking for a place of SIWES relevant to fields of studies of the students.
- Acceptance of SIWES Form – This is a reply to the placement letter submitted above from the employer to the Directorate of SIWES. Students must obtain a signed Acceptance of SIWES form from their employers on securing a place for the SIWES attachment.
- Job Reporting Form – It is to be completed by the student as he/she assumes duty. The form must be returned to the Study Centres within two weeks of the commencement of SIWES. The information on the form will assist the Directorate during the supervision visits. Failure to return this form is taken as non-participation in the programme.
- The SIWES Logbook – should be completed daily and signed weekly by the industry-based supervisor. This is very important. The logbook will be examined during supervision visits and be checked along with work reports on industrial work experience. You must have the logbook with you every time you are on duty.
- SIWES Evaluation Form is to be completed by the employer at the end of the SIWES programme. It must be brought back to the Desk Officer at the Study Centre under confidential cover.
- Students should note that SIWES is not a vacation job. It is a compulsory programme and an integral part of academic work. Any case of indiscipline during this period will attract severe disciplinary measures. If a student has any problem with his/her place of SIWES attachment, he/she should contact the Directorate immediately.
- There should be no change of employer unless the Directorate gives a written permission. Any change without a written permission will be regarded as non-participation in the programme.
In conclusion, I will like to assure you that the Directorate will come to your assistance whenever you are in any form of difficulty. You should feel free to send a mail or discuss with the supervisors during supervision visits. In any case of emergency, you should contact your Desk Officer or the Directorate immediately.
I wish you a successful students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme Programme.
Prof. Sam O. Smah